Ubuntu for Phone
A quick look at the Ubuntu Phone:
More information and a more in-depth view about Ubuntu on Phone from Canonical is found in the next video:
System requirements for smartphones are:
|System requirements for smartphones||Entry level Ubuntu smartphone||High-end Ubuntu “superphone”|
|Processor architecture||1Ghz Cortex A9||Quad-core A9 or Intel Atom|
|Memory||512MB – 1GB||Min 1GB|
|Flash storage||4-8GB eMMC + SD||Min 32GB eMMC + SD|
Ubuntu for Android
Ubuntu for Android or your phone is the PC !
How would you like a PC that fits in your pocket?
Now multi-core Android phones can be PCs too. Ubuntu for Android enables high-end Android handsets to run Ubuntu, the world’s favourite free PC desktop operating system. So users get the Android they know on the move, but when they connect their phone to a monitor, mouse and keyboard, it becomes a PC.
Image credit to http://www.ubuntu.com .
The tablet from Microsoft is now available to pre-order with Windows RT for US, on Microsoft Store website.
The tablet has the following prices:
- 32 GB without Black Touch Cover – $499
- 32 GB with Black Touch Cover – $599
- 64 GB with Black Touch Cover – $699
The technical specifications (from Microsoft Store site):
- OS | Windows RT, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT
- EXTERIOR | Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 in • Weight: Less than 1.5 lbs • Casing: VaporMg • Color: Dark Titanium • Physical buttons: Volume, Power
- STORAGE | 32 GB • 64 GB
- DISPLAY | Screen: 10.6″ ClearType HD Display • Resolution: 1366 x768 • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (widescreen) • Touch: 5-point multi-touch
- CPU | Chip: NVIDIA T30 • System memory: 2 GB RAM
- WIRELESS | Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) • Bluetooth 4.0 technology
- BATTERY | Up to 8 hours mixed activity • 7-15 days idle life
- CAMERAS | Two 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facing
- VIDEO | Two microphones
- AUDIO | Stereo speakers
- PORTS | Full-size USB 2.0 • microSDXC card reader • Headphone jack • HD video out port • Cover port
- SENSORS | Ambient light sensor • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer
- APPS (included) | Mail • Messaging • Word • Power Point • Excel • OneNote • SkyDrive • Internet Explorer 10 • Bing • Music • Video • Games • and more.
As you all know, Microsoft unveiled the new Windows 8 tablet line named “Surface”.
An interesting article from lockergnome.com is about the things that are unknown about this tablet :
- What will be the RAM ?
- What are the graphics ?
- What is the price ?
- What is the camera resolution ?
- How will the Surface charge?
- What is the battery life ?
- When it will be released ?
For more informations, read the rest of the article at this link.
Another piece of news from Canonical …. A full Ubuntu desktop, on your docked Android phone.
There is an article on www.ubuntuvibes.com about a Linux Tablet Running KDE. Here is an except from that article :
If you don’t know about Plasma Active project yet:Plasma Active is a joint project by the KDE community, basysKom and open-slx. The goals for this open source project are to deliver a fast embedded UX platform with minimal memory requirements, provide customizable and modular to support different form factors and design an interface that adapts as users change Activities.
Plasma Active is intended for all types of tablets, smartphones and touch computing devices such as settop boxes, smart TVs, home automation or in-vehicle infotainment.
One more interesting article that I found today was Ubuntu TV Will Be In Your Living Room This Year from http://gizmodo.com/5874227/ubuntu-tv-could-be-in-your-living-room-this-year.
Apparently next year we will be able to buy a TV that has the Ubuntu Linux OS on it (a version optimized for TV) with an interface based on Unity.
Nice one for Canonical.
P.S. : Here is a demonstration of the new interface.